Kerr Lake continued….

Day 3

Tuesday nights storms had us a little concerned… the radar was showing red all over the map and the wind was kicking up pretty good.  Being in a camper is the last place you want to be in a storm.  Okay, maybe outside in a tent would be worse, but you get what I mean.  The storms were suppose to be active until the wee hours in the morning, but I think by 11 we were feeling pretty confident it wasn’t going to be that bad.  We went to bed and I don’t think it stormed much after that, but I am a pretty sound sleeper. 

When we woke up we  went outside and realized the storms didn’t do any damage even though the pinecones made it sound like rocks were hitting our roof last night.    The storms didn’t cool things off either as it was again another hot, hot day.  We started off the day lounging around outside drinking coffee and watching the family of ducks getting displaced by a group of geese and then the group of geese get barked off by our dog.  Yep, that’s the type of entertainment we enjoy while camping lol…   We decided to go for a bike ride mid-morning  around the campground to check out other sites and then down to the boat ramps.  One can’t get many miles in at this park riding, but the bikes came in handy.    When we got back we decided to do some kayaking.  This time we went the same route Greg went yesterday by himself.  We paddled down to the end of the cove and around the other side.  I was starting to feel more comfortable getting out in the larger body of water since the water was so calm.   I also figured out that if I stayed in the middle of the cove, I didn’t have to paddle quite as far.  Greg paddled a little closer to shore which in my opinion was a little too much paddling.  We then crossed over the larger expanse of water to the other side.  There was something about being out so far away from shore (in an inflatable kayak) that was exhilarating.  I’m a pretty good swimmer but I don’t think I could have swam that far to get back.   We were out kayaking about 2 hours in the morning.  Then after lunch we went out again exploring around another cove and were out another 2 hours or more.  So we really have spent quite a bit of time kayaking and swimming this trip.  Did I mention how hot it was outside?  I can’t imagine camping without being able to jump in the water with this type of heat, so this was the best choice for a summertime camping trip.

Last night was a steak for dinner night.  We buy filet mignons at Costco in bulk and I usually split them up to make a pretty good 1-1/2″ piece of meat.  I buy a package of about 4 or 5  3-1/2″+ thick for about $50.  Then  I split them up and can  usually get about 5 meals out of a package.  So it’s a great deal for us and we usually bring a few camping with us.  Greg cooks them up perfectly every time.  This time we decided to use charcoal.  It’s been forever since I’ve had steaks cooked on charcoal and since we have a grill that can convert to wood, charcoal or gas, we decided to cook them with the charcoal we’ve been carrying around.  After he cooks them to med/rare he puts a pad of butter on them right before coming off the grill.  Yummmm….. 

After dinner we noticed it looked like it was going to storm.  Nothing was really showing up on the radar but while I was watching the sun go down I was noticing a lot of cloud cover.  I sat with my camera waiting to take some shots and saw some lighting in the darker clouds.  I had heard thunder earlier, but it sounded so far off I wasn’t worried about it.  I sat and sat and then thought I was never going to get a shot because of so much cloud cover.  It was starting to get dark, so I thought the sun just went down without me ever seeing it so I went inside.  We were sitting inside for a little while and all of the sudden Greg looks out the window and shouts “there it is?’  I really didn’t know what he was talking about and I had put my camera gear away and my sd card was already in my computer.  As soon as he said that I scrambled to get back out there with my camera.  Yes it was still lighting and thundering so I felt I earned this sunset shot.  Looking at it you wouldn’t realize it was storming.  I was hoping to get the sunset with some lightning flashes but that money shot never happened.

Day 4 – Travel Day

This morning we woke up to a beautiful breezy morning.  Last nights storm was mild but it did cool things down a little.  Normally we are anxious to get packed up in the mornings on our last day, but today we just took our time and enjoyed the cooler weather.  

We finally got all packed up and were on our way home before noon.  While traveling home we made reservations at this same spot in September.  We think it might become a regular place for us when we just want to get away for a few days.  

Our next trip is Newport News, VA in early August.  After doing some checking out some activities in that area, it looks like we will once again be able to kayak and bike and also check out some historical places in the Williamsburg area.  

Web Analytics